Application: Doctor Nightsky

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Application: Doctor Nightsky

Post  RexCelestis on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:33 am

By filling in this application you declare your Out Of Character and In Character age is above 18+. Anyone found to be violating this primary rule will be removed from the guild without question. I also accept the Super Group contains themes of an adult nature and will abide by SSC Rulings listed below;

Safe: Attempts should be made to identify and prevent risks to health.
Sane: Activities should be undertaken in a sane and sensible cast of mind.
Consensual: All activities should involve the full consent of all parties involved.

Your Characters Name:
Doctor Nightsky@RexCelestis

Your Characters Gender:
Male

Your Characters Age:

Your (As in Player's) Date of Birth:
Feb 8, 1968

Your Characters Species:
Human

Your Personal Roleplay Experience:
I've been role playing in various forms for almost 30 years. I started in D&D and quickly branched into other systems: Traveller, Gamma World, Champions, Call of Cthulhu, Cyberpunk, etc. I started playing World of Darkness in 1992 while a friend of mine was working for White Wolf. I consider running a 10 year WoD chronicle one of my greatest achievement in terms of RP, storytelling, character development, and just good times with friends. It's the bar that I measure other gaming experiences against. It's also the reason I will not likely play a WoD game ever again.

You can see some of the work the players and I created for that chronicle at And Here Our Trials Began and the sequel Where There Is Smoke.

I got into City of Heroes after meeting two Cape DJ's and three other players at GenCon 2007. Playing City of Heroes was great fun for me, much more than I expected out of the game. It's like RP crack, nearly always available with very little preparation. Its greatest strength and weakness is the large diversity of players it brings together. I've made some true "Real Life" friendships and met some people that I hope I never see in person, all in the same game.

I've actively RP-ed in CO since I started playing in 9/2009 giving me about 2 years of RP experience in MMORPG's.
----

Where did you hear about House of Thorns?:
CORP Forum

What appeals to you the most about the Guild?:
The adult nature of the group. It seems willing to handle mature themes, maturely.

In what way do you see yourself contribute to the Group?
I am an avid RP-er and fairly decent writer. I enjoy interacting with others and am willing to help further the stories of others.

What's your characters traits; Their flaws, their strengths?
Doctor Nightsky is heroic if cynical. He wants to do the right thing and has been hampered in the past by his naivete. He is well traveled and cosmopolitan, yet seems to have a mental block against reconciling how things should work, and how they actually work.

What position do you see your Character in the House of Thorns?
Doctor Nightsky is using an assumed identity, a member of the House of Thorns out of circulation for some time or a legacy from his deceased father. He hopes to maintain this identity by taking up the membership, explaining away any gaps in memory as a result of the trauma suffered in the incident that created him.

From the Journal of Doctor Nightsky

I feel the need to write this down, to preserve and remember some small bit. At the same time completing this transformation. Bury the parts of me that I must forget and move forward from that place.

It would not do to list the schools I attended. That would be one of those parts I must set down. They were academically strong if not prestigious, and I did well if not excelled. I finished my undergraduate work taking the regular amount of time. Finished grad school and residency in a similar fashion.

I didn’t specialize, never understanding the wonder a dermatologist held for the skin or a neurologist for the brain. For me, medicine held the promise of helping people, making lives better in sometimes very simple ways. I became a general practitioner, hoping to apply a wide body of knowledge to the largest population I could.

It was with that youthful idealism and a solid command of French that I joined Médecins Sans Frontières, Doctors Without Borders, fresh out of residency. My French got better throughout those years. My idealism faded almost as soon as I landed in Rwanda in February, 1994.

Most of 1994 remains a blur to me. A blot, perhaps, inked out by the saner parts of my mind. At 29 I thought I had seen it all. I believed a healthy diet of TV violence and casual mayhem of big cities streets had prepared me for anything. Rape gangs, machete wounds, grizzly murders, all dissuaded me of that conviction. I had not even seen the tip of the iceberg.

Even now my memories crawl back from that time. MSF lost over 100 local staff members in the killings. I lost many friends, saw many futures extinguished. Nearly lost my own life with the foolish daze of immortality that accompanies youth.

I moved south with Opération Turquoise and thousands of refugees. There never seemed enough hands, blood, or drugs. I ran “midnight” clinics, sneaking back into Rwanda to provide care for those unable to reach the Zone. It was the first time I heard the phrase “Doctor Nightsky,” a pseudonym for those with the courage to evade the Hutus and serve those in need under the cover of a million sparkling stars.

I stayed in Africa for years, treating of cases of cholera, starvation, and mass murder in Zaire and Tanzania, eventually moving to Sierra Leone to care for the innumerable amputees that civil war disgorged. Unknowing, the end of my adventures in Africa grew near.

In movies, the hero reaches a point where they believe that if just one person stood up for the community, the block, town, tribe, what have you, would be freed from wicked tyranny. They rise up against the villain, maybe failing once, but somehow uniting people behind them to triumph over evil. That's how it works in the movies.

In real life, it leads to the destruction of a village: its men shot to death by 12 year olds carrying Kalashnikovs; the legs of its women and girls hacked off by machete so they cannot run away when the rape gangs come; its boys hopped up on khat, given a weapon, and trained as the next generation of "citizen soldiers."

The hero? He's protected by his American passport. No one really wants the Marines back here again. Bad for business. He's beaten, threatened, his name is written down. When he finally escapes, he spends months in the bush before he can reach the US Embassy in Djibouti, praying,... praying that he can find a way out of there.

He finds his way out. He finds his way to Geneva, the International Office of the MSF. There, he meets Dr. Christian Tipler.

Chris Tipler is one of those people you find in life, then wonder how it’s taken so long for you to finally meet. We lived in the same area, developing a nice cross town sports rivalry. We went to similar schools, were residents at hospitals of similar size and in the same general location. We looked enough a like that people thought we were brothers. We both shared some darkness in our past that we never discussed.

We became fast friends. When we were ready for reassignment, we headed to Thailand together.

The MSF operates in many roles throughout Thailand. Everything from beginning the first anti-retroviral treatment program for people living with HIV/AID to ensuring adequate medical care, water supply and sanitation in the Lao Hmong refugee camps on the borders with Laos and Myanmar. We traveled together all over that country, treating TB, providing counseling; whatever the country needed.

You would think that I had learned my lesson in Africa, that for just once I would be able to turn the other way and let things be. I didn’t. Like Africa, I would face great loss, great change, and once again find myself running through the jungle with my mind focused solely on survival.

Thailand supports a thriving black market trade in pharmaceuticals and other drugs. Baxter, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, all protest this lost income by maintaining high prices in the country. An ART treatment that sells in an African nation for $150US cost four to five times that much in Bangkok. The MSF press releases decry these actions, publicly denouncing these megacorps for these crimes against the ill and disenfranchised. Their doctors keep doing what they can with what they have. I wanted to have a little more.

I started with a box of antibiotics that had literally fallen off a truck. Worth more than an equal weight of cocaine or heroin, I quietly gave the medicines away to other doctors on my wide ranging rounds of the countryside. We saved a lot of lives.

I organized a small group of like minded Thai's. The screams of Africa still echoing in my ears, we took great care as we stealthily liberated drugs and other medical supplies from any number of criminal organizations.

Chris found out by accident, a careless lapse on my part. He tried to talk me out of it. He reminded me about Somalia, that more was at stake than just my life. When a local operative warned me of strangers in the area on one of backcountry house calls, I decided to end my career as a medical Robin Hood. I made plans to flee through the jungle then lose myself in the crowds and tight streets of Bangkok before making my way home.

To his credit, Christian wouldn't let me go alone. We climbed into that jeep, knowing that our time in Thailand had ended. We headed into the bush together.

There, in that dark, overgrown land, I would die. Only Christian Tipler, Doctor Nightsky, would survive.

I thought that I was ready to reflect on that moment, describe in detail what happened. I’m not. The pieces have just not come together in my mind.

At some point we were running, sprinting through the undergrowth. I remember Chris calling out to me, to wait. I remember falling, ruins or wreckage, then pain. A waking nightmare where I pitifully prayed for the release of sleep.

I awoke outside the ruins, the wreckage, perhaps. I lifted my hand to the sky, marveling at the thin traces of circuitry spreading from my fingers down my wrist, my arm, my chest. It burned.

I remember finding the dead, Chris and my picture among them. The soldiers were not Thai. The multiethnic team carried the equipment of an organized, international cadre of mercenaries. I had upset more than a local warlord. Looking at Chris’ broken body, I realized it better that I should die in his place. Let GSK, AZ, or whatever mega-corporation I had offended believe me dead. Let them believe this mission to murder me successful.

I gathered the parts of my new life, a passport, money, bits of jewelry. We looked enough alike that no one would question my identification. In that daze, I believed I knew enough about my history. The cross at my neck came from my diseased mother; that ring from my university.

I had become Christian Tipler. I would become Doctor Nightsky, soon.
----

What times do you play?:
Evenings after 8 pm Central some week nights, Weekend mornings and afternoons

What day would be best to play your House of Thorns Character?:
Any night save for Friday. I am open to establishing a regular, weekly game night.

Cake or Pie?:
Cherry pie with ice cream, please.

"I have reviewed the common questions thread" and look forward to hearing from you.
RexCelestis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Application: Doctor Nightsky

Post  Lilith on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 am

Hi there, Rex! Nice to see an application from you.

Interesting backstory and very nicely developed. A point for you to consider, if you have not already. We're not just a heavy RP SG that deals in 'mature' subject matter, we are basically "Heroes with Hobbies" (of a generally kinky nature). *Directs attention to our Club, Fetish Fuel*

How does Doctor Nightsky fit in with such, if at all?
Lilith
Matriarch of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RexCelestis on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:59 am

Lilith wrote: *Directs attention to our Club, Fetish Fuel*

How does Doctor Nightsky fit in with such, if at all?

In a few ways. On the surface, he tells himself this is where the elite of the city congregate and he should use his identity to garner those relationship. Deeper, since his change, he has grown aware of the differences between what he saw as the "Should be's" and the "What is." Kinks and fetishes are something he was aware of (Bangkok is a very interesting place after all), but he was unwilling to allow himself until now.

He doesn't have a "hobby" so to speak for now. He comes to the House open to one, willing to explore these parts of himself.

Does that answer the question?
RexCelestis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilith on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:14 am

RexCelestis wrote:

Does that answer the question?

Sure does. Thanks! Very Happy
Lilith
Matriarch of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RexCelestis on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:19 am

Lilith wrote:

Great. Let me know if you need anything else from me.
RexCelestis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilith on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:25 am

RexCelestis wrote:
Lilith wrote:

Great. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

We'll need to get together for an IC interview, and any RP you can engage in with us and your character only helps to determine the 'fit'. We're pretty open to RP, especially with applicants, so feel free to look us up and give us a nudge.

I already have you on my Friends List, too, so I am sure we can work something out. We are a busy SG, though, and several are quasi-away for the Holidays, so please do bear with us.
Lilith
Matriarch of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RexCelestis on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:31 am

Lilith wrote:

I already have you on my Friends List, too, so I am sure we can work something out. We are a busy SG, though, and several are quasi-away for the Holidays, so please do bear with us.

No worries at all. I just rolled him today. I'll try to get him through the hazard zones as quick as I can. The good doctor has been kicking around in my mind for a while now. Nice to finally bring him to life.
RexCelestis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skunk on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Rex. nice of you to drop in. Best of luck with your application. Wink
Skunk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RexCelestis on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Skunk wrote:Hi Rex. nice of you to drop in. Best of luck with your application. Wink

Thanks, Skunk. I look forward to meeting and getting more involved just as soon as I can. Smile
RexCelestis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilith on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Approved! Welcome to the House ... finally Wink
Lilith
Matriarch of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Satyxes on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:46 pm